Steps for accessing and reporting in the Human Subjects System (HSS) and other resources can be found on this page.
A subset of information for the RPPRs will be for studies involving human subjects. In these cases, the Human Subject link will appear in Section G.4.b Inclusion Enrollment Data of the RPPR.
Accessing HSS via eRA Commons
- SO: Status tab > General Search screen > Specific Award >Action column > Human Subjects Link
- PI: Status tab > Status — PI Search screen > Status Result — List of Applications/Awards screen > Specific Award >Action column > Human Subjects Link
- Both: RPPR tab > Manage RPPR > Specific Grant > RPPR Menu screen > Edit button > Inclusion Section (G.4.b) > Human Subjects Link
Once logged in to eRA Commons, click on Status on the landing page, or click on the apps icon on the upper left corner of the screen and select Status from the drop-down menu. See Figures 1 and 2.
Figure 1: The Status button on the eRA Commons landing page
Figure 2: Accessing Status from the apps icon drop-down menu
Basic Tasks (step-by-step instructions from the online help)*
* You must be logged into eRA Commons with appropriate role(s) to complete these activities.
Click on thumbnail image to expand to full view.
Figure 3: Section G.4.b of the RPPR showing the Human Subjects link
- Human Subjects System Resource Page
- OER Human Subjects Research Page
- Human Subjects System video tutorials (6 videos)
- Tip Sheet: Using the Participant-level Data Template -- PDF; July 10, 2019
- Participant-level Data Template -- CSV; May 21, 2020
- Entering Inclusion Data Using the Participant Level Data Template (video)(February 26, 2020)
- How to Address Errors When Using the Participant Level Data Template (video)(December 16, 2021)
- NIH Grants Policy Statement: Human Subjects Protections
- NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-18-179: Transition from Inclusion Management System to New Human Subjects System (HSS) as of June 9, 2018