Allowing Vendors to Enter Post-Award Contract Project Data through eRA System
NIH is piloting with a handful of vendors the entry of select data about R&D awarded contract projects into eRA systems for public display in RePORTER. This page provides information for those vendors and NIH staff involved in those contracts.
Improve the quality, accuracy, and transparency of the data about R&D contract projects displayed to the public through RePORTER and the Categorical Spending page to promote the highest level of public accountability.
Allow the vendor (the source of the data) to enter their own data about their awarded extramural R&D contract projects into eRA Commons.
- Pilot May 15 - Oct 2023
- Evaluation of pilot Nov-Dec 2023
- Full rollout tentatively planned for early 2024, pending results of pilot
- Six vendors participating in the pilot:
- Leidos Biomedical Research
- The Battelle Centers
- PPD, Inc.
- Technical Resources International, Inc.
- The Emmes Company
- Johns Hopkins University
- Pilot vendors will enter post-award scientific data on projects associated with NIH R&D contracts directly into eRA Commons within 15 calendar days of a request by NIH staff.
- Pilot process replaces the current process of the vendor providing data on extramural contract projects on a PDF form 1688 for manual NIH staff data entry.
- These requirements apply only to new contract awards and new task orders awarded to the pilot vendors made on or after May 15, 2023.
Benefits of New Process
- Improved data accuracy
- Streamlined process; removes NIH staff data entry process
- Vendors provided the opportunity to characterize their R&D research projects for the public
- Data updates tracked within eRA
- Improved tracking of vendor roles (signing officials and principal investigators)
eRA Registration Required
New requirements being piloted will require vendor organizations to register in eRA Commons if they are not registered already.
Research-Related Data to be Entered by Vendor into eRA
Vendors will directly enter the following information into eRA Commons for projects associated with new contract awards and new task orders.
- Principal Investigator
- Major Subdivision and Department Name
- Project title
- Specific aims
- Public health relevance
- Use of human subjects
- Use of vertebrate animals
- Use of chimpanzees, and
- Use of human embryonic stem cells.
Getting Started (for Pilot Participants)
See the following resources and Quick Start Guides, which include these topics and step-by-step instructions and screenshots.
- Vendor Registration (for vendors not already registered in eRA)
- PI Account Creation (for vendors not already registered in eRA)
- Getting Set Up Quick Start: Logistics for Contract Vendor Organizations
- Principal Investigator (PI) Quick Start: Accessing screen to enter R&D contract data
- Signing Official (SO) Quick Start: Accessing screen to enter R&D contract data
- FAQs on Submitting Data on NIH R&D Contracts (for Contract Vendors)
- Register in eRA Commons (eRA informational webpage)
- Tips for Writing Text About R&D Contract Projects
- NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-23-115: Pilot for Improving Data about NIH R&D Contracts
- Pilot Starting May 15 to Improve NIH R&D Contracts Project Data (Extramural Nexus article)
- General questions about the pilot: NIHRDContractData@od.nih.gov
- System issue and registration support: Contact the eRA Service Desk
- Web ticket
- Toll-free: 1-866-504-9552 (Press 1 for eRA Commons or ASSIST)
- Phone: 301-402-7469 (Press 1 for eRA Commons or ASSIST)
- Questions about a contract project: Contact the Contract Officer Representative for that specific award