New Features (December 06, 2016)
- Ability to copy data from a recently prepared RPPR RTD into a Renewal RTD
When working with a Renewal Research Training Dataset (RTD), xTRACT users will now be able to copy Participating Trainee and Program Statistics data from a recently prepared RPPR RTD for that same training grant. If an RPPR RTD for the grant’s final non-competing period has already been started, then the data will be copied from that. Otherwise, if an RPPR RTD for the grant’s previous non-competing period is available, the data will be copied from that RTD instead.
The option to copy data will be offered when the Renewal RTD is first initiated. Users will also have the option to copy each type of data (Participating Trainee or Program Statistics) when editing the RTD, whenever visiting each of the corresponding data entry sections.
- Ability to copy data from a recently prepared Renewal or RPPR RTD into an RPPR RTD
When working with an RPPR RTD, xTRACT users will now be able to copy Participating Trainee and Program Statistics data from a recently prepared RTD for that same training grant. A copy can be performed from the previous year’s RPPR RTD for that grant. Also, when preparing the RPPR RTD for the final non-competing year, there will be an additional option to copy from the next Renewal RTD for that grant (provided the Renewal RTD has been started).
The option to copy data from a recent RTD will be offered when the RPPR RTD is first initiated. Users will also have the option to copy each type of data (Participating Trainee or Program Statistics) when editing the RTD, whenever visiting each of the corresponding data entry sections.
- Improved Performance of Preview/Finalize RTD
The amount of time required to preview or finalize an RTD has been improved. When choosing either one of these options, results should appear more quickly than before.
- Adjustment to the auto-population of Faculty Research Support, from NIH and Other Agency Sources
Faculty Research Support from NIH and Other Agency grants are automatically populated in xTRACT, based on award data that we have on hand (and cannot be edited). However, there have been some occasions when an NIH/Other Agency grant has not been listed – even though it seems like it should have appeared. Often when this occurred, it was because of a short delay in funding the most recent noncompeting year for the research grant in question, making it appear that the grant was not active at the time that the RTD was being prepared. An adjustment has been made to account for this sort of timing, so that any such awards are correctly included in the listing of NIH/Other Agency Research Support for that faculty member.
- Applicants and Entrants Section
Some users had noted cases where multiple occurrences of the same “Prior Institution” would appear on rare occasions, after entering these in the Applicants and Entrants section. This problem has been resolved
New Features (August 18, 2016)
• Publication citations may now be searched and imported from Pubmed.
When entering publications for a participating trainee, xTRACT now provides users with the ability to search Pubmed using either the Pubmed identifier, the author name, or publication title. The ability to enter a full citation manually (instead of searching Pubmed) is still available as well, for any occasion where the user may require it.
• Access for delegated assistants (users with ASST role) is expanded.
Assistants may now perform the following on behalf of their PIs:
- Initiate the Research Training Dataset (RTD) for New Applications
- Finalize an RTD
- Unfinalize an RTD
• Sections labeled “NIH Support” are now labeled “NIH and Other Agency Sources of Support on Record.”
This labelling more accurately reflects xTRACT’s ability to present grants from some other (non-NIH) agencies for selection, when citing support information for faculty and trainees.
• Table 4’s column labeled “Funding Source” now interprets the funding agency.
When previewing and finalizing the PDF of the RTD, any sources selected from the xTRACT database will display the funding source accordingly:
- If the funding is affiliated with the NIH, displays "NIH"
- If the funding is affiliated with the AHRQ, displays "AHRQ"
- If the funding is affiliated with any other agency or HHS Operating Division, displays "Other Fed”
• Computed means across all years are now displayed to one decimal point.
In Table 6B the calculated mean value for Counts were previously rounded to the nearest whole number. These values are now computed to one decimal point precision and rounded to that decimal place.
• Bookmarks now included in PDFs.
When previewing and finalizing the output PDF, bookmarks are now included to provide navigation to the beginning of each training table.
- Corrects an earlier defect in Table 8 generation, where the same source of support might occasionally be cited twice for the same training year.
- Improved performance/response time when navigating to the list of Participating Faculty for an RTD.
New Features (April 28, 2016)
- Bold Trainee Names: Users will have the ability to “bold” the trainee name within a publication citation, enabling them to comply with the instructions for table 5 (publications). This will be accomplished by using HTML bold tags ( name ) when entering the name of a trainee in the list of authors for a publication.
- Editable selection fields: When adding institution names and departments on post-training positions and for prior institutions for Applicants and Entrants, users will have the ability to type in the name and save the information directly to the field.
- User Interface (UI) improvements: xTRACT will use type-ahead drop-down lists (also referred to as “predictive search”) in certain places. This means as the user begins to type in the field, the system immediately displays matching results, and thus reducing the time it takes to find the desired result.
- Simplified Data Entry for Participating Departments and Programs: A single button is now available to add either a Department or a Program. When a Department or Program is added to the RTD, the list results now include a column to indicate specifically whether it is a department or program.
- Revised Left-Navigation Options for Institution Data: The left-navigation menu is now simplified to exclude the “create” options. The ability to create a new program is now provided within “Maintain Programs”. Likewise, the ability to create a new funding source is now provided within “Maintain Funding Sources”.
- Maintain Programs now presents the list of programs without requiring a search: The Maintain Programs screen is now pre-populated. The search dialogue has been removed so whenever a user visits Maintain Programs, the entire list of programs for the organization is shown by default. If desired, the list can be filtered to find specific programs using the “Filter” control at the top of the list.
- Fields support additional digits: Both the Direct Costs on Faculty Non-NIH Research Support, and Months of Research Experience in Applicants and Entrants Section, now support an additional digit. Direct Costs has been expanded from 6 digits to 7, while Months of Research Experience has been expanded from 2 digits to 3.
- Same NIH grant support shows multiple times for the same faculty member in Table 4: In some cases the same NIH grant support was showing up multiple times for the same faculty member, when table 4 was rendered in the PDF. This problem has been resolved so that the support only shows once.
- Population of NIH Research Support for faculty should exclude training mechanisms: Per table 4 instructions, xTRACT should be excluding institutional research training grants, institutional career development grants, and research education grants when listing NIH Research Support for faculty. This problem has been resolved so that only research support is shown and the following activity codes are excluded: T15, T32, T34, T35, T90, TL1, TL4, K12, KL2, R25, R90, RL5, RL9, D43, D71.
- In some cases, the awarded trainee positions in the Appointment page on the UI, and in the PDF for table 7 were showing incorrectly: This has been resolved, and the number of awarded positions is now showing correctly in these cases.
- In some cases, a large number of prior institutions in the Applicants and Entrants section was causing the Preview PDF to stall: This issue has been resolved.