eRA Information: UEI Field Will be Added to Institutional Profile in eRA Commons Tomorrow, May 12
The Institutional Profile screen in eRA Commons will accommodate the Unique Identity Identifier (UEI) following a release tomorrow, Thursday, May 12, 2022.
As you are aware, as of April 4, 2022, the UEI replaced the Dun & Bradstreet (DUNS) number as the official identifier required for an organization/institution to apply for and receive federal funding from NIH and other federal agencies (See NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-21-170). The UEI, a 12-character alpha numeric identifier, is issued as part of the System for Award Management (SAM) registration process. For applications due on or after January 25, 2022, applicant organizations must have a UEI at the time of application submission.
- The Primary DUNS field will be renamed as the Primary UEI/DUNS field. While DUNS is no longer being used, we have retained the nomenclature to help ease the transition from DUNS to UEI for users.
Figure 1: The Primary UEI/DUNS field in the Institution Profile in eRA Commons
- If the UEI has been provided at registration, the UEI will be automatically populated.
- If the user has not provided a UEI with the registration, this is a fillable field for the user to provide the primary UEI. If there is a corresponding DUNS in the system, the DUNS will be automatically displayed.
Note: If the UEI is entered with a missing letter or number, a message will alert the user who will need to reenter the UEI.
- A secondary UEI can be added by clicking the Add button next to the Secondary UEI/DUNS field.
- The screen also has a section to ‘View Primary/Secondary DUNS for your organization prior to April 2022.’ This is for users to view their organization’s primary and secondary DUNS that existed before the April transition to UEI.
Figure 2: The ‘View Primary/Secondary DUNS for your organization prior to April 2022’ section in the Institution Profile in eRA Commons