Information on submitting the Federal Financial Report (FFR), which is also one of three reports to closeout a grant.
Recipients of federal funds are required to report the status of funds for each award document number(s) assigned to grants or assistance agreements individually via the Federal Financial Report (FFR) expenditure data. Starting January 1, 2021, recipients are required to submit the SF-425 Federal Financial Report (FFR) to the Payment Management System (PMS) accessed through the FFR navigation link in eRA Commons (see Figures 1 and 2). The schedule for submitting FFR is generally specified in the award documents of a grant or contract.
Clicking on the new Manage FFR button next to a particular grant and award document number combination on the Search for Federal Financial Report (FFR) screen in eRA Commons will take the recipient directly to PMS (see Figure 3). The recipient will authenticate to PMS and be taken straight to the Federal Financial Report — Details screen for that grant and award document number combination in PMS. While the interface will appear new to the recipients, the data to be completed will remain the same. Once the form is completed in PMS, the recipient will submit it to the agency. Recipients will still be able to see the status of their submission in the eRA Commons/FFR module.
Basic Tasks (Step-by-step instructions from the online help)*
- Search for FFRs
- Federal Financial Report (FFR) Module
- Completing the Federal Financial Report (FFR) Long Form
* You must be logged into eRA Commons with appropriate role(s) to complete these activities.
Click on thumbnail image to expand to full view.
Figure 1: The FFR link in the eRA Commons apps navigation icon when the user has the FSR role
Figure 2: Search for Federal Financial Report (FFR) screen with the Manage FFR button identified
- NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-21-128: Updated Process for Submission of Federal Financial Reports for Closed Payment Management System Subaccounts (June 4, 2021)
- NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-21-138: NIH Final Federal Financial Reports (FFRs) will be converted to Interim Annual Reports in the Payment Management System (June 4, 2021)
- NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-21-102: Reminders of NIH Policies Related to Closeout (April 2, 2021)
- NIH Guide Notice NOT-OD-21-046: Reminder: Mandatory Submission of the Federal Financial Report (FFR) in the Payment Management System Beginning January 1, 2021
- NIH Grants Policy Statement: Reporting Requirements
- NIH Grants Policy Statement: Federal Financial Report
- NIH Grants Policy Statement: Final Federal Financial Report