NIH offers a variety of web services related to NIH application submission and grant data. Following are some of the most popular services eRA provides to the external community.
- Submission Validation Service (SVS) to do pre-submission validation checks of single and multi-project applications
- A service to return a preview of the application image in the format used by NIH (SIL)
- Machine readable Notice of Award (NoA) system to system interface
- Web Services Certificate Guide (PDF - 439 IB) (March 2023)
- NIHH S2S Client Transaction Guide: SOAP (PDF – 978 KB) (August 2023)
- Alert: Effective October 2023, eRA no longer supports the DUNS-based methods within the Submission Agency Data Service (SADS) web service (getOrganizationInfo, getPersonInfo, getPersonInfoWithEmployment, getPriorGrantInfo, getSAMOrgInfo). Equivalent methods using UEI are available.
- NIH S2S Client Transaction Guide: REST (PDF - 105 KB) (November 2023)
Accessing NIH Web Services
To request a new certificate account, the Signing Official at the organization of a user requesting this account will need to utilize eRA’s Account Management Module (AMM) via the Admin tab in eRA Commons. Please follow instructions in the ‘Create Account’ topic in the Account Management Module (AMM) online help. Users will also now have the ability to validate a certificate via the AMM system by following instruction under the ‘Validate Certificate’ section of this user guide.
It is the responsibility of the organization to update certificate accounts via the AMM system if the certificate account expires or changes in any way. NIH recommends users of AMM to take this action at least 5 days in advance of the expiration of certificate accounts to ensure you do not experience a lapse in service.
Please note, eRA does NOT support wild card or self-signed certificates.
Access the Web Service Description Language (WSDL) or YAML at the URLs below. The WSDL/YAML can be used by various tools to generate the web service client stubs.
|Service||Service URL||WSDL (Certificate Required)||YAML (Certificate Required)|
|Submission Agency Data Service (SADS)||https://services.external.era.nih.gov/eraexchange/services/SubmissionAgencyDataService||https://services.external.era.nih.gov/eraexchange/services/SubmissionAgencyDataService?wsdl||https://services.external.era.nih.gov/eraexchange/swagger/swagger.html?yaml=externalSubmissionAgencyDataService.yaml|
|Submission Validation Service (SVS)||https://services.external.era.nih.gov/svs/services/SubmissionValidationService||"https://services.external.era.nih.gov/svs/services/SubmissionValidationService?wsdl|
|Submission Image Service (SIL)||https://services.external.era.nih.gov/sil/services/V2/SubmissionImageService||https://services.external.era.nih.gov/sil/services/V2/SubmissionImageService?wsdl|
|NoA Retrieval Service||https://services.external.era.nih.gov/gmws/dataservices/noa||https://services.external.era.nih.gov/gmws/swagger/noa.yaml|
* If you copy/paste these links, watch out for an extra space where the line break occurs for the links in these tables. Directly following the links in the tables and right-clicking then using the "Copy link address" feature both work without any link adjustments.