Important: We post our plans for upcoming enhancement and fixes well in advance of their delivery to help system-to-system service providers plan for their own development efforts. We try our best to keep these documents current as our plans evolve. Please keep in mind that these are *draft* documents and are subject to change at any time.
Which opportunities are processed by NIH eRA systems/services?
We process applications posted in Grants.gov under the following Grants.gov agency codes:
The XML Extract that Grants.gov publishes daily includes agency code ("HHS-NIH11") and agency name ("National Institutes of Health") information. Although NIH posts all opportunities under the same agency code and agency name, others may have one agency name used for multiple agency codes.
Grants.gov Scheduled Extended Downtime
- Training System will go Offline Tuesday August 30, 2022 at 12:01 AM ET.
- Training System will go Online Monday September 19, 2022 at 6:00 AM ET.
- Although eRA Ext-UAT will remain up, the Grants.gov downtime will impact all testing.
- Production System will go Offline Friday September 23, 2022 at 12:01 AM ET.
- Production System will go Online Thursday September 29, 2022 at 11:59 PM ET.
- See NOT-OD-22-190 - Adjustments to NIH and AHRQ Grant Application Due Dates Between September 22 and September 30, 2022
NIH will require the use of FORMS-H application packages and instructions for due dates on/after Jan. 25, 2022 (NOT-OD-22-195). FORMS-H form and system changes are necessary for the implementation of the 2023 NIH Data Management & Sharing Policy (NOT-OD-22-189).
The following application forms include substantive form changes (i.e., new/deleted/modified fields). All other forms in NIH application packages include only an OMB expiration date change and do not require a new schema version. See High-level Grant Application Form Change Summary: FORMS-H.
- PHS 398 Research Plan Form
- PHS 398 Career Development Award Supplemental Form
- PHS 398 Research Training Program Plan
- PHS Fellowship Supplemental Form
Mock-ups, Schemas, and Form Items Description (FID)
- Mock-ups, schemas, and FIDs are posted on the Forms Status Report page of the Grants.gov training site
- Aug 30 - Sep 19: Grants.gov training environment scheduled downtime for cloud migration (Grants.gov calendar)
- Sept 1ish - FORMS-H test opportunities & end-to-end testing available
- Oct 25 - Nov 25: Add FORMS-H packages to active opportunities
- Jan 25: First due date to require FORMS-H
- FORMS-H Series
- Note: Opportunities with various Data Management and Sharing Plan (dmsPlan) flags are noted.
- Reminder: Grants.gov training environment downtime will impact ability to test Aug 30-Sep 19.
- Application guides for FORMS-H application packages will be posted to the How to Apply – Application Guide page no later than October 25, 2022
System Validations (already in production)
Note: Requirement of the submission of a plan attachment will be enforced by business rules and validations set at the FOA level and will not be enforced by schema.
- A new Data Management and Sharing Plan flag (dmsPlan) is now included in the FOA Information Response Message within the Submission Agency Data Services (SADS) service. The flag is used in system validations to determine processing requirements for the new DMS plan included in many FORMS-H applications.
- See S2S Client Transaction Guide (PDF – 790 KB) (August 2022)
- Several FORMS-H test FOAs have been updated to include different flag values.
- We encourage folks to use our SIL web service to generate full FORMS-H application images
- We will post updated style sheets by mid-November
Web Service Changes
On July 13, 2022, eRA released updates to a few SADS web service requests to add the full opportunity number as the last element in the output of the request as fullRfaPaNumber: