This topic pertains to the general Just in Time (JIT) screen. To see help for other JIT screens:
- JIT screen available to VA, see Just in Time (JIT) for VA Applicants.
- JIT approval screen available to VA agency staff, see Just in Time (JIT) Overview for VA Agency Staff.
The JIT feature of the eRA Commons allows the electronic submittal of additional grant application information after the completion of the peer review, and prior to funding. The program director/principal investigator (PD/PI) and the signing official (SO) work together to complete and submit Other Support, Budget, IACUC, IRB, and/or Human Subject Assurances information directly to the NIH when that information is requested. For information on the new header and footer and navigating between modules, see Navigating and Using the UI in eRA Modules.
NOTE: If you have the PI role, you may upload and save JIT information; however, you must be an SO to submit it to NIH.
The JIT feature is available for applications meeting established business criteria. In general this feature becomes available for applications that fall within a certain percentile or priority score range; however, applicants should not submit any JIT information until specifically requested by the agency. These requests can be eRA-system generated emails or contacts directly from the specific awarding agency via email and/or phone.
NOTE: All JIT attachments should be submitted in PDF format with a maximum size of 6MB. Each upload area can accept only a single PDF, and if you re-upload a file, it replaces the previous file.
Policy: JIT policy information also is available online. Look for the Just-in-Time Procedures section of the NIH Grants Policy Statement.
- JIT link on Status Result - Just In Time search or General Search (SO)
- JIT link on Status Result - List of Applications/Grants (PI)
The procedure below is for both a PI or an SO. However, the SO has a Submit button and the PI does not. Also, the button name for viewing a report changes slightly depending on role, but the report button performs the same action.
A PI can upload and save JIT information, and can also view the JIT report that the JIT screen will prepare for submission based on JIT information entered on the screen. An SO can do all the same things, but in addition, an SO can submit the JIT information to the Agency.
To upload JIT files:
- Access the Just in Time screen through the JIT link on the Status result screen(s) Action or Available Actions column.
NOTE: The JIT link is removed once an application has been awarded.
The Just in Time screen appears. The Application Information section shows the application being modified.
- Upload the appropriate file types.
- Other Support File
(Click here for more information on Other Support)
- Budget File
- Other File
- Human Subject Education
- Genome Data Sharing Certification
- Other Support File
- Click the Upload button for each type of file you need to upload..
- Drag and drop the file from your Windows directory into the appropriate section of the JIT screen.
The panel shows an Upload Complete message. The panel also displays the name of the file and the date it was uploaded. Optionally, you can remove the file by clicking the Delete button, or simply by uploading a different file. Click the View button to view the contents of the PDF file in a separate browser window.
- Enter IRB date and assurance number as appropriate.
- IRB Date. The IRB date is validated such that the IRB date must be in the range of one year previous to today's date. If you enter an IRB date, you must also select an assurance number from the dropdown list.
- Assurance Number. If this dropdown is empty, contact your signing official and ask for the HSA # to be entered in the Institution Profile.
- If you are a signing official, and you have added or modified the information on the screen so it is ready to submit, click the Submit button at the bottom of the screen to submit to the Agency. A confirmation message appears:
- In the Submit Confirmation popup that appears, click the Submit JIT Data button. A Success message appears at the top of the JIT screen.
Commons performs validations upon saving or submitting. If required information is missing or invalid, error messages will appear on the screen to guide you.
Once submitted, the report is available to view from within Status Information. Status Information is accessed by selecting the application ID (displayed as a link) from any of the Status result screen. Refer to the help topic titled Status Information.
You can resubmit JIT information as many times as necessary. Each section of the JIT information can be submitted separately and more than once as long as at least one field element has been completed. After each submission, the Just In Time screen displays the Number of Submissions for each piece of information.
When a resubmission has occurred, the Status result screens display the JIT link with an indication of the number of times revised.
If you are an SO or a PI, you can view the Just In Time report directly from the JIT screen before submission. To do this, scroll to the bottom of the JIT screen; PIs click the View Report button, while SOs click the View Just In Time Report button. The two buttons show the same report.
IMPORTANT: If your system is set up to view PDFs in the browser and you view the report, the PDF report will replace the JIT screen in the current browser tab, and you will lose all unsaved data. Click the Save button before viewing the report to avoid this.
If the JIT information has already been submitted to NIH, the Just In Time report can be viewed from a link within Status Information. The link displays as the date of the last submission plus the number of times submitted and is located under the Other Relevant Documents section.
Status Information is accessed by selecting the application ID (displayed as a link) from any of the Status result screens. Refer to the help topic titled Status Information.