Carryover is a process through which unobligated funds remaining at the end of the budget period may be carried forward to the next budget period. The carryover of funds allows the Grantees to use the unused prior year funds in the current budget period. Grantees are allowed to carryover funds automatically if they have the expanded authority for their application for all others, Grantees need to submit a carryover request to their respective Grants Management Specialists and Program Officials who will review their request.
To be eligible for a Carryover request through the Prior Approval module, the Grantees should have satisfied the following conditions:
- The grant is still active, meaning the project period has not ended, or a Prior Approval NCE request has been submitted by the institution requesting additional time and the grant has not gone into closeout or unilateral closeout.
- The grant does not have an Expanded authority (Expanded authority is based on the activity code of the application, or set by the IC in GM Module).
- The request date is within the current budget period date.
- The grant is not for a Fellowship application.
Required Information and Documents
Grantees who satisfy the above conditions are allowed to submit their request through the Prior Approval module available in their Commons system. When submitting their request, enter the amount of the funds to be carried over in the Request Details section. In the remaining sections, upload the following PDF documents.
- Explanation of unobligated balance
- Detailed Budget
- Scientific Justification
Validation on Submission
When the request is submitted, the NIH system will verify;
- That all required fields have been filled out.
- The system will display a warning message if:
- There are any Prior year outstanding FFRs (Federal Financial Reports) that need to be submitted.
- Any prior year FFR has been submitted and rejected by the agency and the grantee has resubmitted the FFR.
No Cost Extension and Carryover
If the grant is eligible for a No Cost Extension when the Carryover request is initiated, the system will provide the ability to initiate a No Cost Extension. A No Cost Extension request can be initiated if either of the following conditions are satisfied
- If Project period end date is with 90 days.
- The Project Period End Date has passed, and the grant is not in closeout or unilateral closeout.