Prior Approval - Change of PD/PI on a Grant
When it is necessary to change the program director/principal investigator (PD/PI) on a grant, a signing official (SO) can use the Prior Approval module to create and submit the request to the agency.
PD/PIs do not see the option for a change of PD/PI(s) in the Prior Approval module.
- Grant year is the most recent awarded year in the segment
- Grant family is not past the Project Period End Date
- Grant is not a Fellowship
- Grant is from an IC/Agency that supports Change of PD/PI
- Administrative Supplements cannot have a Change of PD/PI initiated
- Can not be a multi-project grant
The Change of PD/PI Modify Request page consists of read-only application information, OPERA-mandated questions (which may be optional), and IC-specified document uploads.
The current reviewer can modify the following on a Change of PD/PI Modify Request:
- Add a PD/PI
- Remove PD/PI
- Mark PD/PI as Contact PD/PI
- Add Level of effort for PD/PI (calendar, or academic and/or summer. May not be zero "0".)
- Effective Date
- Leadership for Grants that will become MPI
- Upload Bio Sketch (for each PD/PI)
- Limit one (1) PDF per PD/PI, and file may not exceed 6 MB.
- Human Subjects checkbox
- Other Support upload (for each PD/PI)
- Other Documents (up to 10, 6 MB size limit per file)
- IC specific upload
See Viewing and Initiating Requests for details on initiating a request.
After initiating a Change of PD/PI, you see the following details screen.
Be sure to fill out all required fields (with a red asterisk). You can drag and drop a PDF file from your file system onto the Drop file area, or click Browse to locate and select a file.
To view or remove a file you have uploaded, click the three-dot ellipsis menu and select View or Delete. If you upload the wrong file, you must delete it in order to upload another, as only one file is allowed to be uploaded.
- To add a PI:
Type part of the PD/PI Name, then select from the list (only those researchers in your institution matching the typed text appear).
Choose whether the PD/PI will be Contact PD/PI.
Specify the level of effort in months that the PD/PI will spend on the project, either entering between 1 and 12 for the Calendar field, or entering a combination of Academic (1 to 9) and Summer (1 to 3). Enter either Calendar, or a combination of Academic/Summer, but not both.
Add a biosketch and statement of other sources of support for the PD/PI.
Click the Add/New button. The PD/PI you specified appears in the Requested PD/PIs table below the Add/New button.
(click to view)
Optionally, you can use the steps above to add additional PIs to the request.
Optionally, you can change the data on a PI that you already added to the Requested PD/PIs table:
Click the PD/PI's three-dot ellipsis icon and select Modify.
The PD/PI's information appears in the fields above the table (see below). Modify the data outlined in red below, then click the Add/New button again (this does not add the person to the table, but instead updates the person when they already exist in the table).
Optionally, you can delete a PD/PI that you have added by clicking the person's three-dot ellipsis icon and selecting Delete. A confirmation message warns you that all information for the person will be deleted and that the action cannot be undone.
- You can click Save at the bottom of the screen if the request is not ready to submit; a message appears at the top of the page indicating that the request has been saved.