Search for FFRs
Use the Search for Federal Financial Report (FFR) screen to search for grant awards
You can search either by entering search criteria or by clicking one of the predefined quick searches.
When searching based on search criteria, enter as many criteria as possible to perform a more narrow and specific search. Too broad of a search can result in a very large set of records returned by the FFR module, which might slow down the FFR response time.
- Select search criteria from the available dropdowns on the search screen.
The following dropdowns are available to search, which include parts of the grant number (See Deciphering the NIH Application/Grant Numbers document at https://www.era.nih.gov/files/Deciphering-NIH-Application.pdf, which also has IC abbreviations.)
- Activity Search by the grant number's activity code. Example R01 or U01.
- This is a required field. Defaults to All, which searches all ICs. To search by specific IC(s), select one from the list, then to select another, select from the list again, and so on. Each appears in the IC field and can be removed by clicking the x next to the IC letters.
Enter the serial number of the grant into the field.
- Year of the grant.
Defaults to All, which will search for FFRs in all statuses.
To narrow the search to specific status(es), use the drop-down and select one or more status values to include in the search. To select more than one status, select the first status, then click the dropdown again and select another status. Each selected status appears in the Status field with an 'x' that you can click to remove it.
You may search for any combination of the following:
- In Review
- Revision Pending
Will return records with a due date of the entered date or later. Enter a date directly into the field or select a date using the calendar tool.
- Click the Search button.
The results of the search appear in search results below the search criteria. Refer to the section below titled Search Results to learn what you can do with search results.
- Click the Reset Search button to clear the results and perform a new query, as necessary.
NOTE: To see only multi-year funded SAMHSA awards, toggle the MYF Awards option to the 'on' position.
Quick searches are one-click, pre-defined searches providing a convenient method of retrieving commonly entered criteria. They appear on the Search screen in FFR when you first enter the module. If you do not see a list of quick searches defined at the bottom of the search screen, click the Reset Search button, shown below:
To run a quick search:
- Click the Search button of the desired quick search.
Searches for and returns any records for FFRs in a status of Received, for all ICs.
Pending, Due, or Late
Searches for and returns any records for FFRs in a status of Pending, Due, and Late, for all ICs.
Due this year
Searches for and returns any records for FFRs in a status of Received with a start date of January 1 of the current year and an end date of December 31 of the current year.
- In the search results, click the three-dot ellipsis menu to see actions you can take on a record. Refer to the section below for additional information on search results.
- Click the Reset Search button to clear the results and perform a new search.
FFR retrieves all matching awarded grants (except Fellowships). Use the grid tool ( ) to specify how many records to display on a page.
Use the navigation buttons at the upper right of the results to navigate through the remaining records. Select the header of any column to re-sort the displayed records.
The hit list includes the following information:
- Award Number: The grant number is linked to the Grant Folder.
- Doc No: Award document number.
- Three-dot ellipsis menu. Displays all actions that can currently be performed on the FFR record. These options vary depending on the status of the FFR. Refer to the section below, titled Actions, for more information.
- Spec. Funding: Special funding indicator of ARRA, Sandy, or <blank> as appropriate.
- FFR Due: The date when FFR status will change from Due to Late.
- Submitted to Agency: The date on which the FFR was received by Agency, otherwise this column is blank.
- Budget Start: The budget period start date of grant.
- Budget End: The budget period end date of grant.
- Latest FFR Status
Use the Export button at the top of the search results to view the FFR search results in an Excel spreadsheet. Excel will open in a separate window.
The actions available for a FFR vary depending on the status of the FFR. All available actions are available by clicking the three-dot ellipsis menu next to the Award Number in the FFR results table.
|Action Option||Available to FFRs in Status...||Result of the Action|
||Redirects to PMS, where (after you login) it opens the FFR long form for editing and submission.|
||Displays a history of actions performed against the FFR record.|
||Opens the current version of the report in PDF format.|
Select the Manage FFR action to be redirected to the current FFR in PMS, where, after logging in, you are presented with the FFR long form to complete and submit. You can either initiate the FFR using this button, or return to a partially completed FFR to continue editing it.
Select the PDF action to open a read-only PDF version of the report. This is available for FFRs in a status of Received, In Review, Accepted, Rejected, and Revision Pending.
Click the caret (triangle icon) next to the Award Number to display a brief history of the FFR since initiation. The history displays beneath the FFR record. History of the FFR includes:
- Date received by agency
- Name of the institution user who created the FFR
- Name of the Agency staff member who processed the FFR (if applicable, otherwise N/A)
- Status of FFR
- PDF button for viewing the PDF
History is available for FFRs in a status of Received, Accepted, Rejected, and Revision Pending.
Viewing No Cost Extension (NCE) Details
When you see an award with a green NCE icon next to the award number, it means the award has had a no-cost extension (NCE) applied. Click the down arrow next to Award Number to see both the regular FFR (REG) details,and the NCE details (E1, E2, etc). In the area that appears, also use the down arrow to toggle more information to appear or collapse.