A university or organization is required to register in eRA Commons to electronically submit a grant application. Only individuals with legal signing authority at the university or organization (e.g., CEO, Dean)—known as signing officials (SOs)—can register their organizations. Once the organization is registered, the SO can register or affiliate the principal investigator (PI) in Commons.
More than 35,000 organizations are already registered in Commons. To see if your organization is already registered, check this Quick Query: Commons Registered Organizations.
Link to Register in eRA Commons
If your organization is not listed, SOs can register their institutions at the Register Grantee Organization link on the eRA Commons home page.
Basic Tasks (step-by-step instructions)
Figure 1: Online Registration Instructions page
Figure 2: Register Institution screen
- How to Register an Institution in eRA Commons (Video – 11:29) April 2018
- eRA Commons Registration FAQs
- eRA Commons User Guide (PDF – 21 MB) August 2017
- eRA Commons Account Administration Basics (PowerPoint – 3 MB) June 2012
- Switching Institutions? Take your Commons account with you (PDF – 248 KB) November 2012
- Who is Eligible for an NIH Grant?
- NIH Grants Policy Statement: eRA Commons Registration
- Determining Applicant Organization Eligibility in the NIH Grants Policy Statement