The Termination Notice for a Fellow can be initiated by the PD/PI (Fellow), business official (BO), Sponsor or Sponsor Delegate. The flow diagram indicates the preferred process: the Fellow initiates the termination notice; the Sponsor routes and certifies it; and the business official submits it to the Agency.
The individual that initiates the award termination is the user.
- The user locates the most recent Fellowship on the Trainee Roster screen.
- The user selects the Initiate TN link for the appropriate Fellowship to be terminated.
- The user is presented with a Termination Notice (PHS 416-7) with fields pre-populated with data from the eRA system.
- The Modify Termination Date button within the Termination Notice can be used for early terminations of the Fellowship.
- The user reviews the Termination Notice and makes any necessary edits/additions (such as updating the email address of the PD/PI (Fellow) and entering/uploading the training provided), selects the BO who could Submit the form, and then presses Save to retain the form.
NOTE: For Federal or Foreign (the Institution is outside the US) Fellowships, the PD/PI (Fellow), and the Sponsor, as well as the BO can submit the Termination Notice.
- The Termination Status is set according to the role of the individual who initiated it: Either In Progress PI, In Progress Sponsor, or In Progress BO.
NOTE: Additional action buttons appear at the bottom of the form.
- The user decides who will be the next reviewer of the Termination Notice, and routes it to that individual.
- The Fellow can route it to either the Sponsor or the BO. The Termination Status is set to either In Progress Sponsor or In Progress BO, depending on who will be the next reviewer.
- NOTE: It is preferable that the Fellow route the Termination Notice to the Sponsor.
- The Sponsor can route it to either the Fellow or the BO. The Termination Status is set to either In Progress PI or In Progress BO, depending on who will be the next reviewer.
- At least one individual in addition to the person who initiated the Termination Notice should review the Termination Notice.
- The system runs the validation process and presents any errors or warnings to be addressed. Any errors must be corrected prior to routing. If error-free (warnings are OK), the form is routed. The Electronic Signature of the user is recorded, and the Termination Status is changed to that of the next reviewer.
- Except for Foreign or Federal Fellowships, the Fellowship must be routed to the BO for submission to the Agency.
- Only the principal investigator (PI) can modify the stipend on an early termination for T, K and R grants—delegates cannot modify the stipend. On fellowships, the business official can make changes as well.
NOTE: (If no action is taken):
- Termination Notices are automatically routed from the Sponsor to the BO after 14 days
- Termination Notices are automatically routed from the PD/PI (Fellow) to the BO after 14 days